25 February 2008

Some Silly Swings

Silly swings were on my mind when I got invited to join this blog, so silly swings is what I'll start out with. I'll do some more normal stuff once I get this out of my system. (Though just wait till I put together a silly polkas post....) Here we go:

Louis Jordan & Louis Armstrong - Life is So Peculiar

A nice, relaxed swing, considering the perplexing mysteries of life. "When I get up each morning, there's nuthin' to breathe but air / And when I look in the mirror, there's nuthin' to comb but hair."

Groucho Marx did a recording of this with Bing Crosby as well, with some different verses. Not danceable, though.

Hot Cat Jazz Band - She Looks Like Helen Brown
(I sadly can't find any downloads or samples, but it's on this CD. Part of another rendition of the song is here though I don't care for it as much.)

There are only a couple puns in this one, but they get a lot of mileage out of them. I first encountered this song when I needed to do a (very impromptu) swing performance for a family gathering. My partner and I grabbed the nearest CD, found something at a decent tempo and not too long, didn't really listen to it, then went out and danced. Of course, I often miss lyrics entirely when I dance, so I had no clue why the audience was laughing so much. Once I figured it out, I was delighted.

Ray Stevens - Clucking Chickens singing "In the Mood".
I believe this one stands on its own without commentary.

2 comments:

2HelpUs said...

great blog -- look forward to seeing more posts!

Unknown said...

Hey, so you actually found out who plays the Chicken cluck version, eh?

(Plus, should I be contributing to this page?)

--Jason