27 February 2008

Bronco Schottisches

Bob and I are teaching the Bronco Schottische at Faster Polka tomorrow night (Roble Studio, Stanford University, 9PM). If you don't know what that is, it's kind of like redowa for schottisching. As in, you get to go faster and it's fun. I learned it from Ryan and Monica at Waltz Weekend 6 years ago, but haven't encountered it much since then. Which is why we're sharing the fun tonight.

So, to make sure you all have something to practice with, here are a few schottisches that I like for the Bronco. They're all about 150 bpm, which seems to be a good tempo for it. You don't want to go too much faster, since Bronco is trickier than regular schottische, but you don't want it too slow either because then you lose the energy.

Rockapella - Zombie Jamboree

The iTunes link is to a live version; I don't know how that is for dancing. I have the version from this CD. You can also watch a performance on YouTube.

Joe Diffie - Third Rock from the Sun
I've also heard this one called a west coast swing, but I like the bounce it has for a schottische. You can hear the full track on last.fm.

Geoff Byrd - Elusive Butterfly
Disclaimer: I haven't actually danced to this one yet, but that will be rectified on Friday. It sounds like it should be fun, though. (Thanks to Rowyn for the recommendation.)

Nothing downloadable I could find, but there's a sample, a video, and a CD.

3 comments:

MacKenzie said...

I've syndicated this blog over a LiveJournal in case there are other people like me who forget about websites too easily.

Tandava said...

Thanks, though we've also got it a copy here for the people who're stuck in the LJ bubble. :-)

MacKenzie said...

Hmm, LJ normally notifies one of such things.

*looks*

Ah, I'm syndicating the Atom feed. Same difference, I suppose.