08 July 2008

West Coast Swing Favorites

Speaking of the Stanford Dance Weekend, I made a point of taking all of Michelle Kinkaid's West Coast Swing classes there. I didn't pick up any specific new songs to dance to, but it's as good an excuse as any to post a few of my favorites I've had waiting around for a while in a draft. These are all ones I first encountered when I took some WCS classes at the Dance Spectrum several years ago.

  • Robben Ford & the Blue Line - Start It Up (126 bpm) - Amazon
    I remember Richard Kear teaching a whole class on different things to do to the breaks in this song. (Previously seen on Rowyn's Leap Day set list.) Update: Here's a video of Richard dancing to this song. Well worth watching, in addition to letting you hear the whole thing.
  • Cake - Short Skirt, Long Jacket (122 bpm) - Amazon
    This one is interesting because the timing of the "short skirt and a long jacket" line is different every time around. Really keeps you on your toes.
  • Chris Anderson and DJ Robbie - Last Night (122 bpm) - Yahoo, Amazon, video
    If you like wacky, unintelligible vocals -- and I do -- this song has 'em. (At least on DJ Robbie's portion of it.)

0 comments: