22 May 2008

Some Favorite Blues

I'm planning on going to Friday Night Blues tomorrow night. I haven't been before (since there are usually more convenient and more Graham-compatible dances on Friday nights) but I'm looking forward to it. So to get myself into the right frame of mind, here are a few blues songs I like:

  • Delbert McClinton - Everything I Know About the Blues (73 bpm) (Amazon | eMusic | Last.fm)
    One of the first blues songs I recall dancing to. It had me from the first line: "I learned to swim when Daddy threw me in the river."
  • Ike Turner - Cold Day in Hell (72 bpm) (Amazon)
    Seven minutes long and no vocals, but the instrumentation is fascinating.
  • Etta James - The Sky Is Crying (64 bpm) (Amazon | Last.fm)
    I've heard a few versions of this song, but this one is my favorite so far. I love it when her voice sort of goes underwater at the end of the scat section.
  • Celine Dion - Le Ballet (85 bpm) (Amazon | Last.fm)
    "The ballet is almost over, and real life will begin."