11 March 2008

Shostakovich Jazz/Variety Suite

It turns out that the set of Shostakovich pieces commonly known as the Jazz Suite No. 2 is actually the Suite for Variety Stage Orchestra. Either way, it's got a couple really good dance pieces in it, and a few others that are probably worth trying out. You can get the whole set, plus Jazz Suite No. 1, on Amazon or eMusic. Here's what I like from it:

Waltz 2 (of course). Richard used to play this one all the time, but I feel like I haven't heard it as much in the last couple years. Gorgeous waltz, with good jeté waltzes, redowas, and other variations built right in. Note: The version on the album I linked to above is very fast (210 bpm). I'd recommend instead getting one of the ones from the Eyes Wide Shut soundtrack. E.g. there are ones at 176 and 180 bpm.

March. This is the opening piece of the suite, and makes an absolutely delightful polka. It's 3 minutes long, which is probably why I haven't managed to get someone to play it at a dance yet, but it's at a decent tempo (114 bpm) so I don't think 3 minutes would be bad. Again, lots of nice variations, including a bit that would be very good for an extended bout of pivoting, if you like that kind of thing. (Which I do.)

The Lyric Waltz and Waltz 1 are both quite fast (200+ bpm) so they'd need some slowing down.

The Jazz Suite No. 1 has a waltz that's actually a decent tempo (173 bpm) though parts of it really just sound like harmony parts to Waltz 2 of the other suite. There's also a slightly fast polka (134 bpm).

0 comments: